Parent Corner

Dual Credit

Dual Credit

Dual Credit Celebrating 25 years in Idaho logo

What is Dual Credit?

Dual credit is earning both high school and college credit simultaneously for post-secondary degree pathway plans and high school graduation. Dual credit may be known by other names such as concurrent enrollment or early college.  For additional information, read the Idaho Dual Credit Program Brochure.

What kind of courses are offered?

Courses are offered for both traditional academic course work such as English and Math, as well as coursework for career-technical programs such nursing assistants and mechanics.

Find a college

More information

Students, parents, and school staff should discuss career pathway plans and coordinate goals. Explore the endless options of dual credit.


@ A College Campus
Students can take college courses directly from the college campus and have an immersed experience with college student’s. Before taking courses on campus, the high school must be made aware of the students plans in order to grant dual credit.

@ A High School
Many schools have certified instructors teaching college equivalent coursework at the high school. Students would want to talk with the school counselor about what is available.

@ A Computer
Students can take courses in an online format. All Idaho K-12 schools have access to Idaho Digital Learning Alliance which collaborates courses with Idaho colleges. Students can also register and take online courses directly from the college.

Find a College

Course Recommendations

Consider courses that match the student’s career and degree/certificate plan. Many GEM courses are a good place to start. GEM (General Education Matriculation) or general education courses are universally accepted across all state colleges in Idaho.

Career Exploration

Application Process

Students must register with the college offering the course. Students will want to visit the college’s website for the application process and registration deadline. Click on Find A College to be directed to the correct website.

Idaho Digital Learning Alliance

Students taking college coursework through IDLA must also register with IDLA and the college. Contact IDLA for more information to submit the application.

Advanced Opportunities

Public school students can use Advanced Opportunities to pay for most, if not all of the dual credit course costs. In order to access Advanced Opportunities funds, both the student and parent will need to complete a Participation Form. Visit Advanced Opportunities to learn more.

Student Opportunities Assistance Program

Nonpublic school students can be reimbursed up to $75 per credit through the Student Opportunities Assistance Program.

College Academic Advisor

A college academic advisor can help students get connected to resources and understand the college process. Contact the dual credit staff at a college.

Access the Library

Libraries are more than just books. Libraries offer a wide variety of tutoring, knowledgeable staff to help with research, and routinely provide workshops on various subjects. 

Math Tutor

Each college has a math support center, where students can set up an appointment or visit during office hours to get extra help. Ask the college instructor or advisor for more information.

Writing Center

Each college has a writing center that can help with essays, research papers, scholarship applications, and any other writing project a student may have to complete. Ask the instructor for more information.

Career Center

Attend a student workshop to gain additional workforce training, get help with a resume, practice for an interview, or use a career assessment tool to find out which careers would be a good fit for the student in the Career Center.

Student Services

Student Services, sometimes called One Stops, can be a student information and service hub. Student Services can help with questions regarding admissions, financial aid, registration, and records. 


Access the college transcript. Many dual credit courses can be applied to high school graduation requirements. A college transcript should be shared with the high school for awarding credit. This will likely be done automatically, but in case it isn’t, be sure to share the information with the high school. 

 Course Transfer

See how courses will transfer.

Exit mobile version