Site icon Parent Corner

Dual Credit Help

Dual Credit Help


Dual Credit definitions and terms that may help with college and post high school goals.


Most colleges provide free math, writing, English and foreign language support. The advising center or library staff can help students connect.


Transition Seamlessly
Dual credits can provide for a transition to higher education that is better understood and more seamless.

Save Money
Students benefit from discounted tuition while taking dual credit and they may also be eligible for additional scholarships.

Realize You Can Do it
Taking an advanced opportunity gives insight into the college experience while maintaining the familiar supports and resources of high school.

Earn Credits
The credits earned while in high school are applied just the same as they would be earned after high school toward an Idaho public college degree program.

Prepare for A Future
Many colleges provide introductory courses to help with college and career exploration as well as study skills and college planning.

Get Connected

Meet college staff, students, and explore the available resources.


  1. Are you able to commit to completing the college course work at the time you sign up?
    • You will receive a college grade for this course that will be recorded on a college transcript, so be sure you are able to complete the coursework.
  2. What course meets your career pathway and degree plan?
    • It is generally recommended students take courses that are part of the general education curriculum or what are referred to as GEM courses

Students often receive two grades (college and high school) for a dual credit course. Grading of the college course is determined by the syllabus presented at the start of the course. The high school grade may be calculated differently, so your grades may vary between the high school and college transcript.

Each college offers a time window in which a student can drop a course without penalty, once this deadline is passed the student will be subject to the school’s grading policy, which could either result in a W (withdrawal) grade or a traditional letter grade (A, B, C, D, or F).

Most Idaho colleges have discounted costs to $75 per credit when the course is offered at the public high school or online.  When a student takes a course at the physical location of the college campus, the cost may vary from the discounted $75 per credit, to the full per credit rate at the college. Students may also incur fees for such things as technology costs, lab fees and textbooks. Students attending an Idaho public school can use Advanced Opportunities to pay up to $75 per credit and non-public school students could be reimbursed up to $75 per credit through the Student Opportunities Assistance Program.

Advanced Placement

The College Level Examination Program

International Baccalaureate (Talk to your school about availability.)

Visit to learn more about score requirements and the equivalent course that credit can be earned.



Dual credit is a college course taught by a faculty member at that college. Many high school teachers are both employed by the high school and the college. Dual credit courses meet the same requirements of a traditional college course that are regionally accredited and approved by the Idaho State Board of Education.

Advanced Placement is an exam, which upon successful completion (generally determined by a score of 3 or higher) can receive college credit. In many cases, a high school staff member will provide a course that will teach to the content of the exam.  The College Board can provide more information.

Yes! To receive accommodations, you would want to schedule an appointment with a Disability Coordinator. You will need to provide proof of your disability when you meet with the coordinator.

Colleges have a student information system that allows students to see their unofficial transcript and course registrations.

All grades will be reflected on both your permanent high school and college transcript.  Failure of college classes may have an impact on getting admitted in to other institutions, state funding, Advanced Opportunities and future federal financial aid.

Yes. Generally, the student must be 16 year or older or have completed at least one-half of the high school graduation requirements and a have minimum grade point average. Dual Credit offices will provide specific exemption for admission policies.

If a parent or guardian would like access to a dual credit students Student Account and Financial Records, Student Education records, or Admission records, the student must give their consent, which is generally called a FERPA Release Form (Family Education Rights and Privacy).

Exit mobile version